Friday, March 28, 2014

Simple question - Why write?

I'm starting to understand just how important the answer to this simple question is.

I spend a fair amount of time checking out other blog sites and forums to keep up with what's hot and what's not in the world of writing. There are some recurring themes that never seem to fade, never seem to get agreement and definitely never seem to get resolved. Amongst these you will find topics like:

Reviews - the purpose, the professionalism, the value (to both reader and author)
Marketing Strategies - advertising, Facebook, book signings, blogtours, pricing, websites.
Amazon - Policies, bullies/trolls, badly behaving Authors/Reviewers and again pricing ebook/PoD

Watching some of these heated discussions and posts I realised just how lucky I am.

Some Self Published Authors (SPA's) / Indie Authors have progressed far enough along the development path that they rely on the income of book sales, or associated activities, for a living, or at least to boost their standard of living; To some it's purely a business.

I've watched them discuss marketing strategies, SWOT Analysis, the impact of negative reviews, carefully constructed publicity stunts (a special mention to Anne Rice, she's got this one nailed! pssst, that's not a compliment) and lots of other above AND below board tactics to get that next sale. It really can be a 'dog eat dog' world, all for the sake of a few bucks. There seems to be very very few authors that make serious money out of writing; percentages quoted by various sources range from 2% to 5%, with up to 15% being able to make a good living - I have no idea how true these figures are, like everything else in life, numbers can be manipulated to tell any story a person wants. But, generally speaking, the higher earnings success rate for 'Authors' globally is acknowledged as being pretty small. (Includes traditionally published, SPA and Indie). 

So now we have to identify the definition of 'success'. This is down to the individual so I make no 'presupposes', I'll just tell you mine; for me 'success' is about having the ability to choose. 

I choose to write, I choose to publish, I choose to produce the best novels/short stories I can, but I also choose to learn. I choose to invest emotions and money into my writing adventures, I choose to invest my time, I choose all of that and I expect the square route of zip, zero, bugger all in return - ergo I am already a successful author!? Well, yes, kind of. My first novel was published six months ago, my first short story gets published in just over a week, I have three other books as 'works in progress'; if someone had told me I would be in this position (as a writer) three years ago I would have laughed so much I may have pooped a little. (sorry!)

My point being? Well, quite simply, I consider myself incredibly lucky to have discovered writing, and apparently I'm quite good at it. But I write purely because I absolutely love it. I don't write to impress people, and I sure as hell don't write to get rich, I write because I can.

There will be many hardened, cut throat authors that see this as 'soft', or weak or naive - but it's not. If anything I am in the luxurious position of being free to write my way, in my own time. That is the purity that Indie writing offers - that is the magic. Unfortunately many seem to see it as a short cut to riches.

I think it was a Kevin Costner film, Field of Dreams, the phrase "Build it and they will come" - well, write a good book and eventually people will find it. The cream will rise to the top.

There are lot's of quotes and advice from my past that I could offer about now, but one of my favourites, one that I have lived my life by, was offered to me by a person I very respectfully describe as a short assed ethnic from New York - without doubt the best natural orator and motivational speaker I have ever met, a man that walked amongst aggressive giants and tamed them all  - 

"Andy, you never shit on anybody on the way up, (the corporate ladder) because you just might meet them on the way down.." Dinni Jain, 1997.

I want my books to be read, I want people to enjoy what I write but ultimately I will not sacrifice my most basic principles just to earn a few quid. I have far too much respect for myself and my readers. To continue with the animal analogies, if you get involved in a mud fight with a pig, you both get dirty but the pig enjoys it!

Well, there you go, that's another insight into who I am - I hope it can help you identify why you write, and what to expect from your efforts.

ajwilsonbooks.net

ajwilsonbooks@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment