Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Write and write some more.......

There is a common theme amongst many of the internet sites I visit with regards to Indie Authors, start writing and don't stop! And I can see the logic of having three books completed before releasing the first. I may have mentioned in a previous post that I am not over blessed in the 'patience' department. A typical example is this post - I'm writing in now (Thursday) so I can release it tomorrow, but I already know that if I complete it today, it's getting posted today - I just can't stop myself. So, there was never a hope in hells chance that I'd be waiting until I'd finished book three before I released book 1!

That said, I do understand why it's a good thing.

Lets presume you have three books ready to go - you release your first as a 'freebie' - good idea! This way once your reader has been so enthralled by your book that they MUST have more, they can go looking and BUY your second book, if they get two, the third is a fair certainty.

If however you don't have three books, the reader reads your first, is still enthralled, but when they go looking for more there is none. You'll be amazed how quickly readers will forget.

Like I said, my problem is that my 'patience' would not allow a book to sit, complete and ready to go, until I finished another - was never going to happen. I suppose as well that a second book was never really on my radar, or so I thought. Remember I wrote Russian Redemption because I really was compelled to. It was also important to me to make sure I saw the process through to it's furthers point. I'd always considered it a 'one off'.

If you have three completed books then you use the first to advertise the second, and the second to advertise the third, with the added bonus of releasing them as a set in the future, all within a reasonable time scale.

If you don't, then you just have to work harder to make sure your readers don't forget you.

I mentioned back-a-ways, that I have launched a 'news feed' on the website, I'll be releasing snippets of RR2, and probably announce the launch of 'the other' book through that media first. If people are willing to sign up for 'news' then it is 'news' that they will get. Likewise I am able to keep  the communication going until such time as RR2 or the 'other' book are ready to publish. It's time consuming but it's well worth it........ when you don't have three completed books to market.

And now I'm going to post this - it's Thursday! I just can't help it..............

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    As an Aussie author, I thought I better support a Kiwi. Great blog, what you say is very true, get the books out as quickly as you can.

    Regards

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Margaret - it's always nice to know someone is reading it :-)

    ReplyDelete