Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Guest Post - M G Russell


M.G.Russell or soon to be re-badged M.G.Goggin, is the author of Joshua of Gaia: The Lost Elderzamia.

This children's fantasy author released her debut novel in February 2012 via Amazon. This adventure, rescue mission, fantastical extravaganza is set in Melbourne Australia in a big, grey boring house only temporarily before the lead character Joshua (along with the reader) is pulled into an underground world of dirt and overweight glowworms. That's right! They're fat and lazy and you've really got to know where to dig to find them!

This is the Elderworld and humans are forbidden.

Joshua's lead to Eldertown, run by Elderzamias, some of whom have Elderpower. What unfolds next will keep you asking 'Where is this Elderworld and how can I get there?!'

Book two is due for release in 2014.

Wakey Wakey Green Eggs and Bakey

Life as a closet author can be tough. I say closet because 1) I don't often tell people I'm an author in fear they'll think I'm delirious and I'll be embarrassed or 2) They always go 'wow so you're like a millionaire author, eh?' and then I have to say something witty.......and then I'll be embarrassed. Either scenario is not good. And what's worse is over time you begin to realise that it's hard to have a moment where talking about it doesn't make you feel like a failure.

So this post is a once-off special edition for my friend Andrew Wilson and I'd like the call it...... (drum roll)........ the Reality Check.

Life is hard. Writing is hard. A life with writing is hard. WRONG. The writing itself is my life blood. I dream about it. I crave it. When I'm not doing it I fantasise about doing it. While I drive to work I'm planning to do it. When I see other people trying to do it and failing I giggle. When I'm procrastinating I'm angry about not doing it. You get the point. But there's a lot of love in there.

The point where it gets hard and I mean REALLY hard is the bit where the writer decides 'Ok. So I have the book. Awesome. Now I just need to publish it and then I'll be on The Project in a few weeks telling them how I amazingly sold record numbers in the first month.'

Easy. Got it all figured out don't you? Yes you, there. You self-published, indie author who can't switch off at night coz you're fantasising about your secret. THE secret; that you have the best story idea ever and when people figure out how awesome it is they're going to love it and share it and it'll go viral and you will in fact be the next J.K.Rowling or Stephenie Meyer.

You think we don't know you're thinking these things??? Of course we do coz admit it or not, we do it too!

The trick I've always found is although fantasising is great (and without it I'd have no book and the Elderworld wouldn't exist) but you need to find a balance between fiction and reality.

Yes, maybe you can write.
Yes, you find it enjoyable.
Will people pick it up off the shelf or on their Kindle? Maybe.
Will they like it? Maybe.
Will it go viral? Probably not. Like....ever.
Will you get offers from literary agents? Probably not.
Will you get interest from Publishers? Probably not. Actually, really not. In fact they're pretty peeved about us sneaking around the back of the industry and just shoving our manuscripts under the back door without their permission. Trust me. They're upset. They had a meeting. There were minutes.

Anyway, just make sure you don't get too caught up in the what might be's and focus on the now and the doing part. Because 1) the books ain't gonna write themselves 2) marketing and selling is just as hard if not harder than the writing and can end in disappointment and 3) please don't forget WHY you started writing in the first place. Don't you love it? Can't you not live without it?

So, in the spectacularly blaring light of day (or the dim glow of the Eldercrystal) you might not be Stephenie Meyer or you may not make it big and buy a 19th-century estate in Scotland but at least you can say that you're still holding onto your intimate relationship with the one you love; writing.

You can read more about this author and her books at the following links:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MGRussell/365039933565314
Twitter: https://twitter.com/monicagrussell
Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joshua-Gaia-The-Lost-Elderzamia/dp/1466278528/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392369189&sr=8-1&keywords=joshua+of+gaia
Kindle: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lost-Elderzamia-Joshua-Gaia-ebook/dp/B007DQ49ZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1392369256&sr=1-1&keywords=joshua+of+gaia
http://m-g-russell.blogspot.com.au

Next Wednesday's contribution will be from Valerie Douglas - a well establish prolific Author, with a heap of experience to share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment