Thursday, April 17, 2014

Disappearing reviews

I may have mentioned in an earlier post that reviews keep vanishing for no apparent reason. It's really frustrating as reviews are hard enough to get when you start out, especially ones that have a 'value' to the would be purchaser. These are peoples opinions of the book, and good reviews (for me) highlight the good bits, the not so good bits and opinions around the characters, story line and construction. Whilst I respect that reviews are written for the benefit of the reader, it is nice (as an author) to be able to pick out tips and thoughts that can be regarded as constructive to improve my own ability. 

With Russian Redemption I would eagerly click on the Amazon page looking, at first, for the number of reviews, and then the excitement of seeing the rating and then reading the whole review. The very first review for Russian Redemption opened with "This is the most enjoyable novel I have read in quite a while..." can you imagine how elated I was to read that from one of Amazons own Top 1000 reviewers, David Bryson. For me it was vindication for all the time, effort and money that I had invested in the adventure. Slowly, more and more reviews came in, for me it was like unwrapping a birthday present each time.

Then one disappeared, vanished. Suddenly the number of reviews dropped from eight to seven - how the hell.......?  Then about a week or so later another was gone. Amazon informed me that it could be that the reviewer deleted their review but wouldn't discuss it any further. I managed to contact the reviewer and she assured me that she hadn't asked for it to be removed so she reposted the review. A few more weeks went by and another went missing. Amazons view on this is 'tough' and if you want to complain we'll get very hardline and pull your book altogether. They wear the big boy pants! So, as an author, you have to just suck it up. But it niggled me in a big way. Reviews were reposted and re-removed, it almost became a game. One of the reviews was from a work colleague; she had purchased a copy and was exercising her right to leave an opinion. Having investigated the disappearance of her first review, it was suggested if she started the review with "I know the Author..." then Amazon would not delete it so she did..................... and Amazon did to!

These were all four or five star reviews, gold for a new author, being wiped away for no apparent reason. Last week another review went missing, only this time the reviewer had no idea who I was when he posted the review some weeks ago. After reading Russian Redemption he tracked me down on facebook and sent a friend request which was duly accepted; four weeks later the review was gone. And that is how I uncovered the one common denominator of all of the missing reviews - they were all part of my growing facebook community. I made a few enquiries on some forums and it appears that somehow Amazon 'bots' track Facebook and deem any 'facebook friend' to be an admissible  source of reviews. How bloody ridiculous is that!! 

So, here's the 'heads up' - do not tell Amazon or Goodreads (Amazon own Goodreads) that you have a facebook account, keep that information away from 'Big Brother', your reviews may well stick around a whole lot longer.


4 comments:

  1. Hi AJ

    I can see why you've come to this conclusion, but I don't think it's that simple. I'm Facebook friends with several authors, and none of my reviews for these authors have been removed (and, yes, Amazon does know my FB details). I've got a couple of ideas ...

    Did your FB friends have a long reviewing history on Amazon? Ammy is getting more and more sensitive about fake reviews, and new reviewers with only one or two reviews are likely to be a target, especially if they've only reviewed your book and you are FB friends. I'm guessing Ammy see these reviews as promotional, and are therefore deleting them as being against their reviewing guidelines.

    The other issue you may have is being a victim of rank-striving reviewers. Some 'Top Reviewers' have the nasty habit of deleting reviews if they think it will improve their ranking, possibly because they are hoping for an invitation to Amazon Vine. I know one of your current reviews is from one of these people, so there's every chance that one will go as well when she decides a review with two negative votes is affecting her ranking. One top reviewer has suggested that less than 50% of Amazon's Top 1000 are actually honest reviewers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iola

      Firstly, thank you for visiting my blogsite and for taking the time to leave a comment, it is much appreciated. To my knowledge one such person (the work colleague) created her Amazon account just to download Russian Redemption, so I would conclude that mine was, at that time, the only review she'd done. One of the reviewers was not a facebook friend until after they had reviewed the book; I have no idea if they had other reviews out there. But surely every reviewer has to start somewhere. I have no real idea of how Amazon runs the Top Reviewer ratings as far as positive and negative votes are concerned, but from what you say there is an ingrained rot already established. I would of hoped that Amazon would focus its resources there as it appears their own TR system is without credibility. Thank you for sharing your insight and experience.

      Delete
  2. I just had another thought ... did you gift the books to the reviewers through Amazon? If so, they may well have deleted them for that reason - gifted books are seen as compensation for a review, as the reviewer can on-gift your gift, or exchange the gift for any other product on Amazon. This didn't use to be the case, and some marketing "gurus" still advise this because it gives you a sale, which helps your sales ranking. It got stopped when a game company was caught using gift cards to compensate five-star reviewers.

    It's best to email the pdf or mobi file direct to reviewers, not gift through Amazon. Gifting through Smashwords is fine, as they are not related to Amazon.

    I'm currently doing a series of guest posts on reviewing ethics - you might want to check them out. http://australasianchristianwriters.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did gift a number of copies (ebook, pdf and paperback) but only because my belief is that the reviewers were doing me the favour of reviewing my book, it didn't seem right that they should have to pay. And not all those that received free copies posted reviews.

      I would be more than happy to feature a guest post on the subject if you're prepared to write it Iola, it would be a good topic to cover off here.

      Delete